The Spontaneous Theatre People are a performance ensemble based in The West of Ireland.
The Spontaneous Theatre People create exciting work which includes; improvised theatre, storytelling, music, and new writing & performances for the stage.We also facilitate workshops in improvised theatre for groups & companies as well as coaching for solo performers. We often run intro improvisation workshops and welcome absolute beginners! Our collective is made up of theatrical performers, musicians, writers, designers and multi-media makers.
Like us on Facebook!
Bespoke Theatre & Storytelling
We have created pieces for Electric Picnic, Body & Soul Festival, The Galway Early Music Festival (Smoke Wing Paw Sing), The Ranelagh Arts Festival, Knockanstockan, Lovin’ Galway (Greening Galway/Galway City Council) as well as bespoke private events.
The Sky Babies
The Sky Babies is a side project of the Spontaneous Theatre People. The Sky Babies perform shortform comedy improv and longform improv theatre shows, and are available for a wide variety of performances. The Sky Babies Troupe is made up of experienced actors and improvisers from all over the globe.
Mrs Nellie Murphy
Nellie is a good friend of The Spontaneous Theatre People. She is much in demand for her work as a Storyteller, MC, Bingo Caller, Poet etc. Nellie has her own Facebook Page too, so be sure to pay her a visit!
Workshops Tailor Made
The Spontaneous Theatre people run regular Improv Labs and one-off workshops. We are also available to facilitate private and corporate improvisation sessions. Would you like a fun weekend workshop for you and your friends? We can tailor-make a workshop for smaller and larger groups on demand. Among the many workshops we can host, we offer Improv, Drama, Team Building, Devising, and ‘Just For Fun’ to name a few. Drop us a line if you are interested.
Performances Tailor Made
Our ensemble has a wealth of talent including; Improvisers, Actors, Playwrights, Musicians, Storytellers etc. We can create a unique performance for your event or party on request. We have created and facilitated; Treasure Hunts up a mountain, Storytelling in a Tepee, Murder Mysteries in Mansions, Improvised character surprises at parties and much more. Get in touch an let us know if you have an idea. Or get in touch if you have no idea at all – we will bring the inspiration!
To contact the Spontaneous Theatre People, please email: spontaneoustheatre(at)gmail(dot)com, or phone us on +353 86 0319224
Some Past Performances, Workshops, Events, and Accomplishments from The Ensemble:
- STP Artistic Director wins award
Órla’s done it again – 3rd time winner for ‘Best Writer’ with her short ‘Well Wishes’ at The Attic Film Festival. Her short ‘Forgot Something’ also picked up the ‘Best Film’ award!
- STP Artistic Director to Teach in Finland
Órla is off to Tampere in June to teach a number of workshops at the Finland International Improv Fest.
- The Sky Babies will be performing all over Ireland in 2014 including some guest appearances with other troupes.
- Spontaneous Theatre People Workshop 2013
STP Artistic Director Órla Mc Govern led a very successful Improvisational Workshop at The Blue Teapot space, in April 2013. We will be taking a list of interest for another summer session.
- STP Artistic Director wins award
STP’s Órla Mc Govern was awarded ‘Best Writer’ for her short film ‘VELOCITY’ at The Attic Studio Film Festival 2013 in Dublin. This is Órla’s second time to receive this award, having also won it in 2012 with her script for ‘Key’.
- STP members guest in Duty Free Improv Show
Two of our members recently guested with our friends in Duty Free Improv, to a very warm Drogheda audience
- Spirit of Folk Festival 2012
Mrs Nellie Murphy will be doing some storytelling performance this year at Spirit of Folk. Saturday at 22nd September at 12pm in the Storytelling Tent. Please say hello if you are there.
- Ranelagh Arts Festival 2012
We’re delighted to be invited back to Ranelagh Arts Festival in 2012. We will be doing Live Comedy Improv at 8pm In Humphrey’s Pub on Wed 26th (along with Special Guests). Free Admission!
On Thurs 27th we will bring ‘Star Stories – 5′ to the Market Venue. 7PM and €8 Admission.
Following that at 9.30 pm come see STP member Niceol Blue in Humphrey’s with her Americana project ‘Harper’s Ferry‘. 8pm and Free admission!
Mrs Nellie Murphy will be taking part in the Ranelagh Cabaret on Friday 28th too. Details on RAF site.
- Herewego Theatre Co.
Members of STP will be taking part in an exciting new show with Herewego Theatre Co. In October in The Mill Theatre. For details of ‘Cause and Effect’, have a look here.
- Improv Labs – Galway
Our highly successful Improv Labs continue to run late autumn/winter in Galway City. Drop us a line for more information.
- Knockanstockan Festival 2012
STP will be performing ‘Firey Stories’ – Featuring Mrs. Nellie Murphy at the Knockanstockan Festival. Come See us at the BOG COTTAGE STAGE, Saturday July 28th at 4pm.
- The Gateway – Alive-O Productions Dublin
STP’s Artistic Director has written an outdoor theatre piece for our friends Alive-O productions in Dublin. It is a family show and will be performed in Cabinteely Park on various Sundays throughout the summer. It can also be seen as part of OPW’s ‘Dancing At The Crossroads’ event – Phoenix Park on Sept 16th at 3.PM
- STP at Electric Picnic 2012
Mrs Nellie Murphy and members of STP play The Word Stage in Mindfield (11 AM Sat), and also at The Bog Cottage Stage in Body and Soul (1.45 PM Sat).
- Spontaneous Theatre People performed as ‘The O’Malley Sisters’ with Anam Theatre for the ‘Terrifying Theatrical Tapas’ nights, Galway Theatre Festival 2011
- Mrs Nellie Murphy performed at Countess Cabaret, Sligo Winter 2011
- Mrs Nellie Murphy performed at Tedfest VI
- Órla Mc Govern’s short plays ‘Dark Stories – Tales of Samhain’ at Leprechaun Museum Dublin
- Mrs Nellie Murphy & The Spontaneous Theatre People at Greenvillage Festival 2011
- Mrs Nellie Murphy & The Spontaneous Theatre People at Electric Picnic 2011
The Spoken Word Tent, in the Mindfield Area of Electric Picnic for ‘Star Stories – 5’.
- Niceol Blue and The Copper Soul Album – available HERE
- Mrs Nellie Murphy on OMFJ.ie Catch some of Mrs Nellie Murphy’s antics on the great Irish comedy site OMFJ
- Star Stories – 5 will be showing at Kelly’s Bar, Bridge St Galway, as part of the Colours Fringe Festival.
- Mrs Nellie Murphy @ ‘Up The Duff’ with Shazwanda, Sugar Club, Dublin
- Spontaneous Theatre People – ‘Star Stories – 4’ @ Temple House Festival
Saturday show in The Rose Garden.
- Spontaneous Theatre People – ‘Star Stories – 4’Flat Lake Festival
Catch us on The wonderful ‘Gonzo Stage’ on Friday (warming the boards for Sam Shepard!)
- Mrs Nellie Murphy Storytelling for little folks @ Temple House Festival
Saturday morning at ‘The Nest’ on The Arts Trail.
- Órla Mc Govern co-writer on ‘Tinteán Tales’ with Alive-O productions. Staged at Pearse Museum Rathfarnham.
- Spontaneous Theatre People @ Tedfest V:
Along with some special guests from Laughalot Improv (part of the No Drama theatre group, Dublin). Collectively known as ‘The Unscriptured’. Also of course, will be the annual Matchmaking set with Mrs Nellie Murphy.
- STP’s Órla Mc Governs original Pantomime ‘Anna Livia and the Durty Big Eejits’ is premiered as part of the Winter Temple Bar Festival. The piece was performed on the river Liffey.
- STP folks Niceol Blue and Mrs Nellie Murphy perform ‘Six Tales – a night of Music, Story and Play’ at The Backloft, Dublin. Produced by The Myth Machine.
- STP’s Órla Mc Govern co-scripted ‘7 Deadly Sins’ for Focus Theatre. Story devised by the company from an original concept by Sinéad Hackett.
- Improv workshops @ The Róisín Dubh.
(SOLD OUT!! PLEASE EMAIL OR PHONE US FOR NEXT SESSION DETAILS/WAITLIST)
- *Star Stories 2 @ Electric Picnic 2010
- Improv Comedy at The Ranelagh Arts Festival 2010*
(With special guests from Snatch Comedy in Cork)
- “Star Stories in Progress” with Mrs Nellie Murphy
The Bog Cottage
Body and Soul Festival, Ballinlough Castle,Summer 2010
- The Spontaneous Theatre People (along with Snatch Comedy and special guests) featured
Whose Film Is It Anyway @ The Róisín, as part of the Super 8 Shots Film Festival. Live Improv to super 8 film, as well as film-themed scenes. Ardal O’Hanlon was the featured comedian of the evening. June 23rd @ The Róisín Dubh, Galway.
- Spontaneous Theatre People produced ‘A Wing And A Prayer’ by Órla Mc Govern @ Kelly’s Lunchtime Series, April 2010 in Galway .